Academic Requirements Notre Dame Diploma
- A Notre Dame diploma is merited by the satisfactory completion of a secondary course of study totaling 29.5 units. These units include those required by New York State. The passing grade in each subject is 70%.
Notre Dame Diploma requires the following:
Courses Units *Religious Studies 2 units Science 4 units English 4 units Mathematics 4 units Social Studies 4 units *American Studies 1 unit Health Education 1/2 unit *Latin 1 unit French or Spanish 3 units The Arts 1 unit Physical Education 2 units Technology Literacy 1 unit Electives 3 units
NYS Regents Endorsed Diploma requires:
Courses Units Science 3 units English 4 units Mathematics 3 units Social Studies 4 units Health Education 1/2 unit Foreign Language 1 unit The Arts 1 unit Physical Education 2 units Electives/Sequence Courses 3 1/2 units
* May be waived for transfer students with the approval of the principal.
- A. Seniors take a minimum of 7 subjects at Notre Dame. Permission of the principal is needed for any exceptions.
- B. Seniors are expected to pass all their courses in senior year. A failure in English (which is automatically warranted by failure to submit the senior term paper), Religious Studies, Economics, Government, Physical Education, or electives may render a student ineligible for graduation. Any failure must be made up in a program approved by the principal. Seniors with multiple failures and/or excessive absences, latenesses or detentions may be excluded from graduation exercises. In addition, students who do not live up to ND values may be excluded from graduation exercises.
- C. The farewell speech at graduation is given by a senior who embodies ND values and has demonstrated leadership, school spirit, and academic excellence. The senior is invited by the principal after consultation with other administrators and faculty.
- D. College courses may be taken only with the approval of the Notre Dame counseling department. College courses are not a substitute for Notre Dame Requirements and are not awarded Notre Dame Credit. College credits are offered at Pace University through the Bridge Program.
- All financial obligations must be met by April of the year of graduation in order for a student to receive a cap, gown, and tickets and in order for her to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Notre Dame students must complete 40 hours of volunteer service as a requirement for graduation. Below are some guidelines for this requirement. (Click here for more information about the Notre Dame School Service Program or contact Mr. Scott Vasey, program coordinator.)
- The service is to be done outside of school.
- The service is to be done for a not-for-profit organization whose mission upholds Notre Dame values.
- Proposed service placements must be approved by the service coordinator.
- The 40 hours of service should be completed by the end of junior year.
- The student must submit to the service coordinator, on letterhead of the organization, documentation indicating the type of service provided and the number of hours completed.
Advanced Regents Endorsed Diploma
- In order to receive a New York State Regents endorsement, a student must meet the units required by New York State.
- A minimum of 65% in the following Regents Examinations: Comprehensive English, U.S. History and Government, Global History and Geography, Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2/Trigonometry, and two sciences (Living Environment, Chemistry, or Physics).
- Certification by the principal that the candidate has passed the Notre Dame requirement for 29.5 units